POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : GIF, TGA, PNG lib : Re: GIF, TGA, PNG lib Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:22:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: GIF, TGA, PNG lib
From: Jon A  Cruz
Date: 27 Apr 1999 01:07:03
Message: <37253808.4C95543E@geocities.com>
Ralf Muschall wrote:

> Jon A. Cruz wrote:
>
> > But Unisys has long since changed their tune and have demanded royalties from
> > even freeware programs. (They took the freeware exemption out of their license
> > well over a year ago)
> > Also, much of the free world is amazed by the silly concept of software patents,
> > and thus their authors have no problem with the issues. Here in the States,
> > though, the lawyers run free and are to be watched.
>
> This would mean that essentially the whole WWW is illegal now - I have
> yet to
> come across a website without images, and AFAIK browsers do not support
> PNG
> yet. (And until MNG is defined, animations are impossible, too.)
>
> How active have they been in raiding websites ?

No, not really. The patent is in the algorithm mainly just for creating GIF images.
Nothing applies to using the data (created images). Although, Unisys' legal/marketing
departments might have liked you to believe otherwise.

Oh, and MSIE has supported PNG since version 4.0, and Netscape since 4.x also (both
for well over a year now, I seem to recall). Opera has for even longer.

BTW, you really should upgrade your browser ;-)